Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Art Posture in Sales and Recruiting

One thing I've learned and observed over my 25 year career in business ownership and sales is posture is everything. Without utilizing posture from beginning to end in the sales or hiring process, you are setting yourself up for mediocre results. What makes matters worse, is that every time you lack posture in a business transaction, it makes it harder and harder to fix yourself. You are living bad habits and making it the norm in the business culture you are creating for yourself and your team.

I have learned the art of posture in business the hard way...trust me. I'm not talking about body language and the way I sit or stand; although that can certainly aid you in a sale. I am talking strictly about attitude. In the early days, I would be just so excited to have someone to get in front of to sell to, that I would let them direct the conversation and ultimately, the whole sales presentation. Without posture, there were too many objections and caving on my part.

Who is in charge of your actions, feelings, emotions and efforts? You are! Posture, is the key to your success.

Now for me, it begins the moment I first talk to a prospect or a new recruit. It is nothing fake. I genuinely feel and believe that what I have is what they need and want. They need me...not the other way around. Always!

If I am booking a sales appointment on the phone, I never give the client the time they are available. I always tell them what works for me; even if that's the only appointment I have all day. I am putting into that client's mind that my time is incredibly valuable and I dictate my schedule.

If you were to call a doctor's office to book an appointment, you do not tell them when you are available. You take the one or two options they offer you. Same attitude here.

I have had some call that arrogance; but you will not see me or my agents do it any other way. So it begins with the initial contact, and continues into the sales appointment next. If I am meeting a client in the home, I sit where I want, not where they offer me a seat. I am bold and tell them what they need to hear...not what they want to hear. I ask direct sometimes uncomfortable questions so can get to their real needs. Because I put my clients first, above my needs for a commission, it is important to know what the client really needs. If thee is no need for my services, or they cannot afford what I have, I don't push for a needless sale. However, if they do have a real need for what I have, I am very forward. I tell them I need them to get their checkbook and photo ID. The reason we do not get many, if any sales objections during the sale, is solely posture based.

Crazy thing is, that once I go down that path, I gain a ton of respect from my clients. I have no issue delving into their personal finances and telling them straight up that they are making so big mistakes. Where I am successful is that I can make fun of myself for having made those same errors in judgement in the past. I TELL them that I care about them and at they need to makes changes now for their own good.

Most people have never had anyone even take the time to dig deep and have a real conversation about things like that. It is appreciated and respected. I am bold, because I care about my clients. What's the worst thing that can happen? They ask you to leave...which is very, very rare. Their loss! I can always look at myself in the mirror and say I gave it my all for their benefit. If they didn't see that, then it's not on my conscious if in the future financial distress occurs due to their stubbornness or even stupidity. I did my job!

So that's sales...

Now how does that translate into my hiring process? Same, exact way.

They need what I have, not the other way around. It's amazing to me how many "Big Egos" are out there. Even in this economy, some of the people I interview have such a sense of entitlement, because they USED to earn hundreds of thousands even millions of dollars a year "a while back." They feel that they are entitled to instant success here without the work. Give me a "hungry" guy or girl who wants to work for their dream...and is humble and teachable.

No comments:

Post a Comment